We are a chip seal contractor. We specialize in chip seal drive lanes, and private chip seal roads. Our product (chip seal) speaks for its self. If you area looking for a chip seal contractor you have come to the right place. With decades of knowledge and experience we can let you know right away whether or not your driveway or road is a good fit for chip seal. Most roads and driveways chip seal will work great for. Chip seal is designed for linear traffic and not always a good fit.
Are you tired of dealing with a dusty, gravelly driveway that’s constantly in need of maintenance? Let me introduce you to the benefits of a chip seal driveway, which offers an affordable, durable, and visually appealing solution for your home. Here are a few reasons why you should consider investing in a chip seal driveway:
Cost-effectiveness: Chip seal driveways are an excellent budget-friendly option compared to other paving methods like asphalt or concrete. By opting for a chip seal driveway, you can save a significant amount of money while still enjoying a functional and attractive driveway.
Durability: A chip seal driveway consists of a layer of liquid asphalt that is topped with a layer of aggregate chips. This combination creates a strong and resilient surface that can withstand heavy traffic, harsh weather conditions, and the test of time. Chip seal driveways typically have a lifespan of 7 to 10 years, making them a long-lasting solution.
Low maintenance: One of the key advantages of chip seal driveways is their low maintenance requirements. The surface of a chip seal driveway is sealed with asphalt, preventing water penetration and reducing the likelihood of cracks and potholes. Additionally, periodic resealing can help maintain the integrity and appearance of the driveway, extending its lifespan even further.
Improved traction: The textured surface of a chip seal driveway provides excellent traction for vehicles, reducing the risk of accidents due to slipping or skidding. This is especially beneficial during wet or icy conditions, making chip seal driveways a safe choice for your family and visitors.
Enhanced curb appeal: With its distinct appearance, a chip seal driveway can instantly elevate the aesthetics of your property. The variety of aggregate chip options available allows you to customize the look of your driveway, matching it to your home’s style and personal preferences. It’s an excellent way to enhance your curb appeal and make a positive first impression.
Quick installation: Compared to other paving methods, chip seal driveways have a relatively quick installation process. The liquid asphalt is applied to the existing surface, and aggregate chips are spread and compacted on top. Once the chips have set, you can enjoy your new driveway within a short period, minimizing inconvenience and disruption to your daily routine.
Where can chip seal be used?
Chip seal has been in use since the 1920s, mainly in low traffic gravel roads. Chip seal (Tar and Chip) is also used as a preventative maintenance over paved surfaces.
In years past chip seal had been thought to be most applicable to low volume, low speed roads. Loose aggregate can get picked up and thrown by wheels at high speeds can chip windows and paint on vehicles. Developments in asphalt cement modifiers and Chip Seal materials have made it possible to use them on high volume higher speed roads including highways and freeways.
Residential driveways and shared lanes are our specialty. We can chip seal over existing asphalt as an added wearable surface or used over gravel to give a semi permanent hard surface.
Prep work and grading of driveways and roads will vary from job to job.
- When prepping a paved surface for chip seal it must be cleaned of all debris to allow for adhesion of the crs2p chip oil. Blowers and sweepers will be used to clean existing asphalt surfaces prior to applying the crs2p emulsion.
- When preparing a gravel surface for chip seal it must be graded and free of large loose rock. Oftentimes we will have to haul in clean base material in order to obtain the best final result.
Temperatures and Times
- For ideal performance, we only chip seal in the warmest, driest weather conditions.
- Temperatures should be a minimum of 50° when using emulsions, with a maximum of 100°.
- The temperature of the surface should be a minimum of 60° and dry.
A single course of chip seal is done in the following steps:
- Surface preparation. Surface defects, such as potholes are repaired and the existing surface (if gravel) graded as needed.
- CRS2P Application. Asphalt emulsion (crs2p or crs3p) is applied to the project surface from an asphalt distributor or spray wand also attached to the truck.
- Aggregate application. A thin layer of aggregate is evenly distributed over the chip oil emulsion. The aggregate usually has a uniform size. Chip rock size will be dictated by the available rock closest to the project.
- Embedding the aggregate. A roller (usually a rubber tire aka pneumatic roller) is used to press the chip rock into the freshly applied crs2 chip oil. Usually, about 50 to 70 percent of the stone should be embedded into oil. Up to 75 percent of the rock will be embedded into the chip seal oil, after several weeks of traffic.
Multi layer applications are done by repeating the above.
One year warranty is given per contractors board.
Chip Seal Cost or Price
It is impossible to give a price on a project without having several details about it.
- How big is the project? The project must be measured in order for us to determine the price.
- Where is your project located? The distance from the rock supplier as well can be a determining factor in how much your chip seal project will cost.
- Is this chip seal project going to be applied to an existing asphalt surface or over a gravel surface?
- Current price of oil, rock, labor and trucking. (All four seem to fluctuate recently)
We can usually get a fairly close price for your chip seal driveway with a phone call as long as you have all or most of the information outlined above.