We are a chip seal contractor. We specialize in chip seal drive lanes, and private chip seal roads. Our product (chip seal) speaks for its self. If you area looking for a chip seal contractor you have come to the right place. With decades of knowledge and experience we can let you know right away whether or not your driveway or road is a good fit for chip seal. Most roads and driveways chip seal will work great for. Chip seal is designed for linear traffic and not always a good fit.
Where can chip seal be used?
Chip seal has been in use since the 1920s, mainly in low traffic gravel roads. Chip seal (Tar and Chip) is also used as a preventative maintenance over paved surfaces.
In years past chip seal had been thought to be most applicable to low volume, low speed roads. Loose aggregate can get picked up and thrown by wheels at high speeds can chip windows and paint on vehicles. Developments in asphalt cement modifiers and Chip Seal materials have made it possible to use them on high volume higher speed roads including highways and freeways.
Residential driveways and shared lanes are our specialty. We can chip seal over existing asphalt as an added wearable surface or used over gravel to give a semi permanent hard surface.
Prep work and grading of driveways and roads will vary from job to job.
- When prepping a paved surface for chip seal it must be cleaned of all debris to allow for adhesion of the crs2p chip oil. Blowers and sweepers will be used to clean existing asphalt surfaces prior to applying the crs2p emulsion.
- When preparing a gravel surface for chip seal it must be graded and free of large loose rock. Oftentimes we will have to haul in clean base material in order to obtain the best final result.
Temperatures and Times
- For ideal performance, we only chip seal in the warmest, driest weather conditions.
- Temperatures should be a minimum of 50° when using emulsions, with a maximum of 100°.
- The temperature of the surface should be a minimum of 60° and dry.
A single course of chip seal is done in the following steps:
- Surface preparation. Surface defects, such as potholes are repaired and the existing surface (if gravel) graded as needed.
- CRS2P Application. Asphalt emulsion (crs2p or crs3p) is applied to the project surface from an asphalt distributor or spray wand also attached to the truck.
- Aggregate application. A thin layer of aggregate is evenly distributed over the chip oil emulsion. The aggregate usually has a uniform size. Chip rock size will be dictated by the available rock closest to the project.
- Embedding the aggregate. A roller (usually a rubber tire aka pneumatic roller) is used to press the chip rock into the freshly applied crs2 chip oil. Usually, about 50 to 70 percent of the stone should be embedded into oil. Up to 75 percent of the rock will be embedded into the chip seal oil, after several weeks of traffic.
Multi layer applications are done by repeating the above.
One year warranty is given per contractors board.
Chip Seal Cost or Price
It is impossible to give a price on a project without having several details about it.
- How big is the project? The project must be measured in order for us to determine the price.
- Where is your project located? The distance from the rock supplier as well can be a determining factor in how much your chip seal project will cost.
- Is this chip seal project going to be applied to an existing asphalt surface or over a gravel surface?
- Current price of oil, rock, labor and trucking. (All four seem to fluctuate recently)
We can usually get a fairly close price for your chip seal driveway with a phone call as long as you have all or most of the information outlined above.